Monday, March 2, 2009

We Want the Funk

George Clinton took over the newly dubbed House of Blues (formerly the Avalon Ballroom) last Wednesday, and kept up his reputation for bringing the funk late into the night.

I knew I was at the right place when I overheard a couple bathroom attendants joking about how good ol' Geroge was going to shut the place down. In a city that clams up by 2a.m. (Hey--was that a New England pun?), the late-running, 4+ hour set was a much needed slap in the face.

I ventured in with visions of PCU dancing in my head-- the coolest/funkiest George Clinton has ever looked, I would argue. Fifteen years later, he's still a pretty funky guy. He may have gained a few wrinkles and pounds, but the rainbow colored hair is still as vibrant as ever. More importantly, Parliament can still perform the pants off of most funk outfits.

As I shuffled my way through a sea of dancing people, I managed to snap a few shots. The House of Blues may have an atrocious coat line (and a $5 coat check fee!), but at least they are very lax about cameras, despite their claims otherwise.


Yes, there was a man wearing a diaper. And we loved him.


Some of my fellow funk-aholics.


The man himself.







Some pictures that are much better (a.k.a less blurry) than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment